Hey, glad you could stop by. I’ve got a graduation card to share with you today, and it’s easy to customize for school colors. I used Ken Oliver’s Colorburst, but Brusho makes a similar product. Distress Inks or watercolor paint would also work for this, but they might not be quite as vibrant.
I recommend working on a non-porous surface, like a craft mat, for this project. I trimmed a piece of watercolor cardstock to 4 1/2 x 6. I also die cut a black piece of cardstock with a Stitched Rectangle Die from Simon Says Stamp. I didn’t need it for the technique, but it helps the camera catch the last thing we need for this project: a piece of clear acetate, or plastic from packaging. I used a piece from a clear stamp set, but any clear plastic would work. In my experience, something thin and flimsy works better than something stiff for moving the color.
I misted the acetate with water, and dropped on the Colorburst. It’s a highly pigmented powder that reacts when it hits water. I turned over the acetate, and used it to “smoosh” the color across the paper. I first learned this technique from Laura Bassen, and if you haven’t seen her work, you should go check her cards out. She’s amazing!
I didn’t wait for the paper to dry, because the colors blend more when they’re wet. If you want your colors to stay true, you can let it dry on it’s own, or speed up the process with a heat tool. I rinsed off the acetate, and added my next color. This time I added the color first, and then misted the powder with water. That was a mistake! I couldn’t see it, but the powder went everywhere, and I had to put my craft mat in the sink to rinse off all the color. So learn from me, and add water first. Then smoosh the color onto the paper. And you can see how bowed the paper was in the second photo, from the water. The easiest was to flatten it out is to spray the back of the paper with water.
You can repeat the process over and over, drying between layers to get more texture. I added Pthalo Green between the Lemon Yellow and Ultramarine Blue, and Violet at the bottom. Once it was mostly dry, I sprayed my hands with water and clapped them together over the paper. I let the clean water sit for a few moments, and it picked up some of the color. When I patted it with a paper towel, some of the color came up with the water, leaving lighter spots.
I set my panel aside to finish drying, and went to work on my sentiment. This “congrats” die cut is from Hero Arts Stamp and Cut set. I die cut the word from white cardstock, and heat embossed it in white. I always work over a coffee filter, so I can funnel any excess powder back into the jar. I trimmed down my panel, and attached the die cut with Glossy Accents. You can see I’m weighing down the paper with acrylic blocks while the glue dries.
I’ve adhered my card together temporarily with dots of tape runner, so I can place the sentiment. I’ve got the matching stamp set, and I’m laying out my stamps on the black cardstock before I picked them up with an acrylic block. Then I heat embossed the words in white.
And my card is done! I hope you get a chance to make a card like this, and if you do, let me know in the comments below. I’ll see you next time!