Hey, glad you’re here for my final post in the Wedding Mini Series! I’ve got a watercolor tutorial to share with you, and if you’re intimidated by watercolor, you’ll love this technique, because you have more control, and less mess.
I started with two Altenew stamp sets, Tulip and Garden Hydrangea. I only used the outline images, and I stamped the blossoms and leaves onto my watercolor paper with Versamark, and heat embossed them in white. Then I mounted the tulip stem onto my acrylic block, which has lines on it to help keep the design straight. After I stamped it and heat embossed it on the watercolor paper, I stamped it again onto Post It tape with black ink. Whatever ink you have works for this, you just need an image you can see to cut out. I used Black Soot Distress Ink because it’s easy to clean off my stamps.
The lines in the acrylic block make this part easy. I lifted just the top of the stem off of the block, and angled it to the side before stamping it again. First I stamped it onto the watercolor paper, then in black onto the Post It tape. Then I was able to bend the stamp in the other direction, and get a symmetrical look. Once I had 3 stems heat embossed, I cut out the Post It tape stems, and masked my images. This allowed me to go back in, and add 2 more stems between the others. I used the marks on the block so the second layer of stems would be halfway between the first ones.
Now we get to my favorite part, adding color! I dragged my Blueprint Sketch Distress Ink across my acrylic block, and used a Waterbrush to paint in my hydrangea. If you don’t have a Waterbrush, you can use a small paintbrush and water. Don’t worry about staying in the lines, it doesn’t have to be perfect. Once it’s colored in, mist it with water. I mixed Perfect Pearls with the water to give the flowers some shine, but that’s optional. Spray the paper until the paint beads up, and let it dry.
For the second flower, I used Salty Ocean mixed with Blueprint Sketch. The third is Wilted Violet, and the last is Wilted Violet and Blueprint Sketch. I used Lucky Clover for the stems and leaves. As you spray the paper with water, the color moves around the design unevenly. When it dries, you get lots of variation in color, which makes it look like you spent a lot of time on it. Good trick, huh?
When my paper was dry, I cut out my pieces. Altenew has matching dies for these sets, but I don’t have them. I laid my pieces on the card, a played around with them to find an arrangement I liked before adhering the pieces to my card with tape runner. Next I cut scraps of white ribbon and pressed them into the adhesive on the back of the stem bundle. Finally, I tied a bow for the top, and adhered it with a hot melt glue gun. I find hot melt works better than other adhesives for ribbon and fabric, because it sets so quickly.
I stamped a small sentiment from Hero Arts’ Year Round Sentiments onto vellum, and heat embossed it in white. Next I trimmed it down, and made a cut in the center on the right side. Then I cut from one corner up to the top of the cut, like above. I cut from the other corner to the top of the cut, giving me a perfect banner end. I added a little tape runner to the top and attached it to the card.
And that’s the end of my Wedding Mini Series. I hope you enjoyed it. Let me know in the comments below if you have more ideas for a Mini Series in the future, and I’ll be back soon with another tutorial!